Sunday, September 6, 2009

When I was born

When I was born the world population is about 3.937 billion, while my country the Philippines' population was about 40 million. After about 35 years (CY2008), the world population is about 6.790 billion and the Philippines has about 97.98 million. In my lifetime, world population has increased two-fold while the Philippines population has increased more than two-fold. Alas, the land area could not be increased much (increasing the land area had become possible through reclamation only). With about 30 million hectares of total Philippine' land areas, when I was a kid, I could play and claim 7500 square meter as my own, now a kid can only claim 3000 square meter. That is assuming there is an equal distribution of land to each and every Filipino, alas that is not the case at all.

In the field of chemistry when I was born, a German Ernst Otto Fischer (W. Germany) and Geoffrey Wilkinson (UK), were given a Nobel Prize award for their work that could solve problem of automobile exhaust pollution. Yet and alas, I am still suffering from the sicknesses caused by over-exposure to automobile exhaust pollution. That means my country after 35 years have not adapted that technology and I fear that I will die knowing a technology exist since I was born which could have prevented a lot of my sufferings.

No comments: